CMD of Mathrubhumi
He took charge as Managing Director of the Mathrubhumi Printing & Publishing Company Ltd., Kozhikode on 11th November 1979, when the company was passing through turbulent times.
With 10 local editions and editions from Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, New Delhi and Dubai, Mathrubhumi belong to the exclusive ‘1 Million Club’ of newspapers in terms of circulation.
Awards and honours towards contribution in the field of culture, profession and public life:
- Kerala Sahitya Akademi's Fellowship Instituted by Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Thrissur
- Kendra Sahitya Akademy Award
- Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award
- Malliyoor Ganesha Puraskaram
- C.H. Mohamed Koya Memorial Award
- G. Smaraka Award
- Odakkuzhal Award
- Rajiv Gandhi National Award
- Chairman & Managing Director, The Mathrubhumi Printing and Publishing Company Ltd. (Since 1979).
- Member, Executive Committee, The Indian Newspaper Society.
- Vice Chairman, The Press Trust of India Ltd.
- Trustee, Press Institute of India - Research Institute for Newspaper Development.
- President, Socialist Janata (Democratic), Kerala State Committee (Since 2010).
- Chairman, The Press Trust of India Ltd. (1992-'93 & 2003-'04)
- President, The Indian Newspaper Society (2003-2004)
- Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (2004-2009)
- Chairman, INS Kerala Regional Committee (2006–2009)
Author of fifteen titles in Malayalam, is credited with enlightening Malayalees about communalism , globalization as well as the multinational agenda on water.
The work ‘Ramante Dukham’ has created publishing history in Malayalam going into 19 re-prints since the 1st impression in September 1995.
‘Amazonum Kure Vyakulathakalum’ has created a new genre of writing in Malayalam fusing travelogue, ecology and philosophical contemplation.
He has won Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award in 2010 for his travelogue Haimavatha Bhoovil